|Welcome desk, WDR Jazzfest. Photo Credit: Lutz Voigtlander|
I'm in Cologne, blogging about the first WDR3 Jazz Fest (Jan 31 - Feb 3) and the pieces are being posted on the broadcaster's own website. (pp)
1) "Feels like a start-up".
2) The commitment to Jazz
3) Checklist: What to take to the festival
4) Getting Ready
5) Composer and Architect: Ansgar Striepens and Helmut Jacoby.
6) It don't Mean a Thing (the programme book)
(7) Rudresh Mahanthappa's Gamak (short review)
(8) Review: Ryan Truesdell directs the music of Gil Evans
(9) Review: The WDR Jazz Prize concert (this was commented on as the best piece)
(10) Review: The Orchestre National de Jazz plus Adam Baldych / Baltic Gang
(11) Liam Noble Solo piano recital (short review)
(12) Final night review: NDR Big Band / Bollani plus Weber/ Loueke / Sclavis
RADIO INTERVIEW: "What exactly are you doing here?" I was interviewed - live and in German - on WDR3 by Michael Rüsenberg of WDR, and Herbert Uhlir of Austrian Radio