|Loose Tubes, Cheltenham Jazz Festival 2014|
Photo credit: © John Watson/jazzcamera.co.uk . All Rights Reserved
Here, in alphabetical order, are our six most-read pieces of 2014
- BATTLE OF THE BANDS AT THE 2014 PROMS
Our review of the Prom with complete set lists and personnel lists.
- CD REVIEW: L'ARPEGGIATA
Alison Bentley's CD review of Purcell improvisations from April is a surprising entry. Wolfgang Muthspiel, whom we interviewed later in the year, and Gianluigi Trovesi were guests on the CD.
- REVIEW: JEFF BECK AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL
Geoff Winston's live review, as ever with a great drawing
- RIP JACK MASSARIK
The death from cancer of the Evening Standard writer was announced in July
- NEWS:JAZZ SERVICES
This was our piece from July with the news that the Arts Council had withdrawn Jazz Services' National Portfolio status.
- REVIEW: LOOSE TUBES AT CHELTENHAM
Luke Davidson's review of the first Loose Tubes gig in 19 years was the first out; he filed it within a couple of hours of the last chord.
o - o - o - o - o
UPDATE: After this list went up, we had a request to flag up some more well-read pieces from this year, during which a total of 983 pieces. Here are the next dozen, in reverse order of posting:
- YEAR-END LISTS (2 of 4): MUSICIANS OF 2014 (UNDER 35) One of our four year-end lists by a range of contributors
- Order for the Memorial Service for Kenny Wheeler
Part of the build-up for an event celebrating an irreplaceable genius
- RIP Brian Lemon (1937-2014)
The pianist had been ubiquitous in his day, able tro traverse a range of styles with ease
- Ashley Slater (ex-Loose Tubes, Freak Power, Big Carla Bley Band) on X-Factor
Suddenly everyone was talking about Ashley...
- NEWS: Launch of new Jamie Cullum jazz album Interlude announced today
And a great album it is too...
- The Jazz Services Touring Support Scheme - Kit Downes writes
The musician's voice. ALWAYS worth hearing
- Review Hiromi: The Trio Project at Cadogan Hall
Rob Mallows reviewed the first of her three nights / great photo by Roger Thomas
- Review: Yoko Ono Residency at Cafe Oto (March)
Geoff Winston reviewing, and capturing the essence of Yoko Ono in a fine drawing
- CD Review: Brad Mehldau, Mark Guiliana: Mehliana- Taming the Dragon
Alison Bentley's second review to appear on this page
- NEWS: BBC Young Jazz Musician Finalists Announced
This was a very well thought-through venture. We also had a fabulous write-up from Carlos Lopez-Real
- CD Review: Chet Baker - Italian Movies
Reviewer Nic Pillai taking the opportunity to say Arrividerci to Chet, again
- Podcast Interview - Elliot Galvin. (Album launch of Dreamland at the Forge, 30th January)
This interview was done just as Elliot Galvin was about to go on stage and do battle for Trinity Laban's Gold Medal, and to win it.